Ever wake up and feel completely unmotivated to write? Do you avoid your laptop because you dread not knowing if this will be a good writing day or a bad one? Suddenly everything else seems more important. All writers have been there. Being in the right mindset to write is a hard thing to achieve sometimes. This becomes a problem because, of course, if you don’t sit down to write, the magic won’t happen. Here are a few affirmations you can tell yourself to help you get to the point where you can sit down and start writing.
If your fear is the quality of your writing:
- My writing is not as bad as I think it is. People do like it.
- If I continue to move forward, I will succeed. Even if it is not perfect the first time, I can make it better.
- No one can write exactly like me. I am one of a kind. And being unique means my writing is more exciting.
- I will not let my doubt get in the way of writing something brilliant.
If you doubt your abilities as a writer:
- Learning, researching and practice will only help me to grow. It is not time wasted.
- I have the ability think around writing blocks. Sometimes it may take longer than other times, but there is always a solution.
- I have the power to change anything in my story. If something doesn’t work, I can always re-write it.
- Just because others don’t succeed, doesn’t mean that I won’t.
- I deserve success because I will work hard for it.
- I am good enough to be a writer even if I make some mistakes.
- Even if I do not get as far as I wanted to today, I still made progress.
If you struggle with the fact that others may not like your writing:
- My writing is a part of me, but it does not mean that negative critics are commenting on me as a person.
- My writing may not be great at the start, but it will be later on. Readers only see the final version.
- I will look at negative reviews and opinions as a positive way to learn and grow.
- Writing makes me happy, and no one can take that feeling away from me.
- Readers will want to live in my world just as I do.
- Even though there is silence from my audience at this point in time, it does not mean that no one likes my writing.
Repeating these phrases to yourself in times of doubt can help you to push forward. You can use any of these in your daily lives, but it may be more useful to make up your own for a particular struggle. Any affirmation that gives you the right push to sit down and write will greatly increase not only the amount, but also the quality of work you can get done. Do you have any affirming phrases or mindsets that you would like to add to this list that have worked well for you? I would love to hear them! Click here and scroll down to contact me.